Director of Software Engineering
About this role
Capital One is seeking a Director of Software Engineering to enable teams through context, direction and support to deliver impactful solutions. At Capital One, we believe in the values of Excellence and Doing the Right Thing. We are a technology-oriented company delivering financial products to market through modern technology and constant innovation at scale.
As a candidate for this role, you’re able to seamlessly switch from executive-level progress conversations, to diving deep into solutions, to contributing to strategic discussions around roadmaps. You are naturally curious and stay on top of industry trends and emerging technologies. You are not afraid to question any existing practices and solutions, yet you display a keen sense of business value proposition and focus on the right priorities. You are a clear thinker, thrive in working across teams, and an expert in dealing with ambiguity. You believe that a core component of Software Engineering's role is to partner to enable the business with solutions informed with the context of the current and future need. You thrive in working in a fast paced, technologically forward leaning environment and are excited by the prospect of enabling teams to deliver value.
What you’ll do
- Continue to build and support a large and engaged technologist workforce (Software Engineers, Quality Engineers and Delivery Leads), operating in Agile teams to engineer at scale within a complex regulated environment
- Work together with Product and Design teams on the overall product roadmap for key business capabilities and goals
- Seek and share the context of the wider organisation, its purpose, commitments and opportunities to enable and engage your team with customer and organisational outcomes
- Seek perspectives from the consulting technology groups (Architecture, Infrastructure, Tech Ops and Cyber) to ensure software products meet the wider needs
- Be an Agile advocate for change, driving continuous improvement in Engineering process methodology and best-practices, ensuring that change is collaborative
- Be vision led, informed by our expertise and be able to compromise along the way on time, cost, quality, scope and risk
- Support the career growth of engineers in software architecture, design, development, integration and delivery domains
What we’re looking for
- You’ll have experience of supporting and growing engineering teams in an environment of an internal/external IT technology estate
- You’ll have a real passion for the business results and the personal development of your teams through nurturing and mentoring
- You’ll be goal oriented and have a drive for step changes in agile working practices, engineering discipline, test-driven development and continuous integration/development
- You’re comfortable in reaching pragmatic outcomes between short-term and long-term business needs
- You’re willing to invest time to understand our industry, business and technology platforms
- You’re able to partner with Product and across the broader organisation to enhance and in part reimagine the way we acquire new customers through the power of modern technologies
- You’ll have experience in navigating The difficulties of technical debt, improving the security posture and increasing automation through software
We are committed to creating a level playing field and seek to create teams that are representative of our customers and the communities we serve. We’d love to hear from you if you identify with a typically under-represented group in our industry and are particularly keen to hear from women, the LGBTQ+ community and ethnic minority candidates.
Where and how you'll work
This is a permanent position based in our London office. We’ve adopted a flexible hybrid working model - one that creates the opportunity to work in your own way, but also provides great spaces for in-person collaboration.
Our core in-the-office days are Tuesday to Thursday, but they aren't mandatory - you’ll be led by your team, the type of work you do and of course your preferences. Many of our team have flexible working patterns so we’re open to discuss flexible working arrangements with you.
You can read more about the full announcement from our Founder and CEO Rich Fairbank here: Update on CapitalOne.com
What’s in it for you
- Bring us all this - and you’ll be handsomely rewarded with a role contributing to the product roadmap for an organisation committed to transformation
- We’re continuing our journey into the public cloud and have problems of scale, security, availability and performance for you to help solve
- We love continuous learning and that’s why we give you 10% of your time to work on cutting edge innovative projects that shape the way we will work in the future
- We offer high performers strong and diverse career progression, investing heavily in developing great people through our Capital One University training programmes (and appropriate external providers)
- Immediate access to our core benefits including pension scheme, bonus, generous holiday entitlement and private medical insurance – with flexible benefits available including season-ticket loans, cycle to work scheme and enhanced parental leave
- Open-plan workspaces and facilities designed to inspire and support you. Our Nottingham head-office has a fully-serviced gym, subsidised restaurant, mindfulness and music rooms. In London, you can heighten your mood with a run on our rooftop running track or an espresso at the Workshop Coffee café
- Find out more through our UK careers site (http://www.capitalonecareers.co.uk/) or by exploring the @IAmCapitalOne Twitter tag
What you should know about how we recruit
We pride ourselves on hiring the best people, not the same people. Building diverse and inclusive teams is the right thing to do and the smart thing to do. We want to work with top talent: whoever you are, whatever you look like, wherever you come from. We know it’s about what you do, not just what you say. That’s why we make our recruitment process fair and accessible. And we offer benefits that attract people at all ages and stages.
We also partner with organisations including the Women in Finance and Race At Work Charters, Stonewall and upReach to find people from every walk of life and help them thrive with us. We have a whole host of internal networks and support groups you could be involved in, to name a few:
- REACH – Race Equality and Culture Heritage group focuses on representation, retention and engagement for associates from minority ethnic groups and allies
- OutFront – to provide LGBTQ+ support for all associates
- Mind Your Mind – signposting support and promoting positive mental wellbeing for all
- Women in Tech – promoting an inclusive environment in tech
- EmpowHER - network of female associates and allies focusing on developing future leaders, particularly for female talent in our industry
If you require a reasonable adjustment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org All information will be kept confidential and will only be used for the purpose of applying a reasonable adjustment.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Who We Are
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.