At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Lead Cyber Engineer
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
Information Security is an integral part of the corporate culture at Capital One UK. It is essential to maintaining our position as an industry leader in electronic payments, and it is the responsibility of each and every employee to safeguard information, protect it from unauthorised access, and ensure regulatory compliance. Information Security has a significant effect on privacy, consumer confidence, external reputation, and it is a priority on everyone's agenda.
The successful candidate will join the leadership of the UK Cyber Engineering team that build and deploy platforms and services used to provide Information Security capabilities at Capital One. As well as represent Cyber, you will assist other engineering teams in adhering to secure design principles.
This dual-role will involve around 50% hands-on delivery and around 50% line and team management. As part of the leadership team, this role will shape the technical scope, methodology and solutions deployed by two “Build-it-Run-it” capability teams. The role of the Lead Cyber Engineer demands technical expertise and experience along with excellent people and team management skills. Supporting game changing initiatives such as Cloud, Big Data; the successful candidate will deliver security solutions, using their security skills and also displaying a flexible agile approach by embracing emerging technologies, all working together in a robust technical ecosystem.
About the role
- Active leadership in a key team of four to provide line management to a capability team, team management with peer across two capability teams, ensuring build, support, incident management are world-class, roughly 50% of the overall role.
- Build, deploy and operate a wide range of robust, available, repeatable, fit-for-purpose and scaled security tools and services, in a Cloud-first culture
- Ensure strong and effective security controls are in place to detect and mitigate risks across all on-prem and Cloud environments to meet business objectives and regulatory requirements
- Work closely and collaboratively with a large number of distributed engineering and operational teams across UK and US Tech, working in an AGILE delivery model
- Promote DevSecOps, leading by example to change existing systems and practices for the better, allowing all functions to do more with existing resources
- Improve and industrialise existing automation and scripting with a view to reducing fragility, time of execution, dependencies and vendor lock-in
- Assist other Information Security teams with evaluating technology to ensure adherence to developing standards and technical integration with current capabilities
- You will be a hands-on technologist with an eye for detail and an up-to-date library of skills
- You will have excellent people management skills and the ambition to grow your reports to do the best work of their careers
- You will be a keen proponent and evangelist of the DevSecOps philosophy, bringing culture, automation, lean, measurement, everything-as-code and sharing into Information Security at the same time as embedding security into DevOps tooling and processes
- You will be accustomed to shared, collaboratively developed source code and versioning
- You will have great scripting skills, including Perl, Python, Ansible and extensive experience with CI/CD
- You will have extensive experience delivering and supporting technical solutions at an Enterprise level, with a track record of instigating and implementing change
- You will have strong problem-solving and troubleshooting experience and an extensive track record in one or more IT technical disciplines
Any of these would also be great
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or Information Security
- Vendor, product, methodology and/or industry certifications
- Experience in working in a regulated environment
- Experience of; config management tools, Jenkins, host virtualisation, containerisation, ELK, Splunk, vulnerability scanners, proxies, WAFs, artefact management, data streaming and transformation
- Experience in secured AWS, or other, Cloud architectures and engineering solution
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).