At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Penetration Tester
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
Capital One needs an experienced Penetration Tester for a technical hands-on role. The successful candidate will work within UK Application Security and deliver application security assessments for Capital One UK.
This function will be responsible for collaborating closely with Software Engineering teams through application penetration testing and assisting remediation guidance activities to enable the UK Business.
This position reports to the UK Head of Application Security and is to be located in Nottingham with flexible working arrangements, although London located will be considered for the ideal candidate.
Job Scope and Responsibilities:
- Delivery of penetration testing / security assessments
- Present findings, risks and conclusions to technical and non-technical audiences
- Close collaboration with the business throughout remediation including influence stakeholders and delivery teams in prioritisation of security activities and issue remediation
- Establish effective and productive relationships with colleagues across the Global Cyber organisation and technology departments as well as the UK business
- Empower the delivery team’s resources by promoting application security awareness and standards through training, mentoring and vulnerability demos
- Establish credibility throughout the organisation by earning a reputation for being a proactive leader and positive disruptor
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
- Skilled at mentoring and communicating goals and corporate initiatives and driving to results
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, and leadership skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Extensive knowledge and experience in securing and developing web applications, APIs/web services and mobile apps
- Strong knowledge of Web, API and mobile application security testing frameworks and methodologies
- Extensive experience in penetration testing and/or application security engineering is a must
- Strong knowledge of application security best practices including OWASP Top 10 and OWASP Mobile Top 10
- Technical knowledge in software engineering, system and network security, authentication and security protocols, cryptography, and network/web related protocols (e.g., TCP, UDP, HTTP, HTTPS)
- Technical knowledge of cloud hosting and penetration testing techniques of cloud based applications
- Familiarity with penetration testing tools such as BurpSuite, OWASP Zap, SoapUI etc.
- Certifications such as CREST, Tiger, OSCP, OSCE, CHECK
- Scripting and development experience is highly desirable
- Experience with static analysis, security code review, security automation and security training is desirable
- Flexible, business focused approach to testing delivery is essential
- Familiarity with AWS is desirable
- Ability to travel as needed
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Live a healthy life with our private health insurance which is free for your family.
Stay in shape with our on-site gym in Nottingham and rooftop running track in London.
Work-life balance is important to us. So, we are open to flexible working to support your lifestyle.
We are able to support you with relocation if needed. And we offer an interest-free travel ticket and stock purchase plan.
You'll get access to vast amounts of internal and external conferences and a dedicated internal training platform.
We are proud to support our local tech communities with various meet-ups and events for you to get involved in.
Cyber at Capital One
The UK Cyber team is part of the bigger US Cyber enterprise. This means that the UK Cyber team benefits from small company agility with big company resources.
As one of the UK’s top ten credit card providers, keeping our millions of customers safe is vital to our business. For a Cyber professional like you, that means an opportunity to make a difference, learn and grow.
We’re making finance simpler and more human. So our cutting-edge products need to work for our consumers as well as being super secure.
In Cyber at Capital One, we do things at a fast pace in a CI/CD environment. We’re not a normal financial services company constrained by a fixed mindset and legacy systems.
We’re an AGILE business that dreams big and has the resources to deliver big (our largest systems are already 100% in the Cloud). We’re doing whatever it takes to protect our customers; the smartest new people, new technologies, new products, new ideas, new ways of thinking and working.
We invest in our Cyber team, using leading edge tech, our in-house Tech College and external training to keep the team ahead of the curve.
We play an active part in the wider community, hosting Cyber MeetUps at our offices in London, and sponsoring, promoting and attending Cyber events throughout the year.
"The Capital One UK Cyber business benefits from small company agility with big company resources."
Dicky Stafford, Director of Cyber Engineering
Are you the right fit?
You see opportunities to innovate and disrupt where others see obstacles and hurdles. You tell others how they can do something rather than telling them why they can’t.
You can convince, explain and reassure people at all levels, from business managers to developers.
You have an appetite to learn and enjoy the challenge of doing things that haven’t been done before (data streaming, machine learning). You apply rigorous engineering sense to deliver robust business servicing applications.
You’re not afraid to challenge the status quo.
- A passion for learning and innovating
A lot of what we do is new, so you’ll learn by immersing yourself in the wider community, developing yourself and your team along the way.
- High quality work
We work in a rapidly changing business, so you’ll need a focus on delivering high quality work at a fast pace. Doing the right thing quickly is good; quick and dirty just won’t cut it.
- Team player
We have a ‘wade in and help’ mindset in Cyber. You’ll thrive on getting stuck in. You’ll give your own opinions, share your experiences and perspectives, and listen to those of colleagues. In doing so, you’ll learn and help others in the team learn from you.