At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Head of Security Consultancy & Architecture
Cyber security is an integral part of the corporate culture at Capital One UK. It is essential to maintaining our position as an industry leader in electronic payments, and it is the responsibility of each and every employee to safeguard information, protect it from unauthorised access, and ensure regulatory compliance. Information Security has a significant effect on privacy, consumer confidence, external reputation, and it is a priority on everyone’s agenda.
The successful candidate will build and lead the UK Cyber Consultancy & Architecture team for Capital One UK and will lead a team of high performers. You will lead a team of dynamic and talented cyber professionals who want to learn from your experience and skills. This team will be responsible for collaborating closely with global cyber peers and will contribute to the design and drive the implementation of Capital One’s global cyber program to support the UK and global Capital One Business. The role holder will also provide technical security leadership to the wider UK Technology and Business.
Reporting to the VP of UK Cyber, this leadership role within the UK Cyber Organisation must instill a culture that works toward the highest standards in security architecture and delivery whilst ensuring that business requirements are understood and adhered to, and security risks in new and existing infrastructure are properly understood and mitigated.
Working with groups such as Cyber Engineering, Technology Engineering, Technology Operations, and Enterprise Architecture, this position will take a leading role in the development of the security strategy for Capital One UK in relation to key initiatives such as Cloud Computing and Big Data in the backdrop of an increased regulatory landscape within the UK.
About the Role
- Provide leadership and hands on direction in the innovation of security technologies and solutions with Capital One
- Develop a culture of transparent, business driven and risk based security solutions to enable Capital One ambitious growth agenda
- Partner with all relevant business and technology stakeholders to embed security as part of their programs and strategy to safeguard customers and the company
- Define and implement department strategy in line with broader cyber security objectives
- Responsible for planning and positioning of a security architecture within Capital One UK to effectively gain buy-in from all stakeholders and oversee execution
- Recruit, develop, and retain a talented group of security professionals for this core function
- Lead a team of hands on cyber professionals responsible for planning, designing and being an active supporter of the implementation of security systems/controls of high complexity to support the business needs and strategy
- Collaborate closely with colleagues within the wider global cyber organisation and technology departments as well as the UK business to establish effective, productive relationships
- Effectively manage cross-functional internal/external team collaboration and communications to effectively and efficiently manage Security and Technology Risk
- Establish credibility throughout the organisation by earning a reputation for being a proactive leader, positive disruptor and change agent
- Own the complete security agenda in projects and where appropriate drive and deliver security deliverables on time and on budget
- Act as a central point of contact for the UK to the rest of Capital One’s Information Security and Risk Management activities
- Coordinate and execute proactive Information Security consulting to the business and technology teams covering Infrastructure Security, Resiliency, Data Security, Network Architecture and Design, User Access Management, and Supply Chain Assurance
- Extensive knowledge and demonstration of experience of Information Technology, particularly those areas related to Cyber, Cloud Computing, Big Data and Network Security Engineering
- Skilled at mentoring and motivating staff, communicating goals and other corporate initiatives and driving to results
- A proven ability to build and sustain effective, professional relationships with Technology and Business across multiple geographic locations and time zones
- Experience deploying and maintaining critical, high-availability security systems and managing and resolving issues in a complex security environment
- Experience and familiarity working across the global cyber security community
- Knowledge of/experience with international compliance requirements/standards (PCI-DSS, SOX, GDPR) and other security regulation requirements
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, and leadership skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills
- Strong understanding of current industry infrastructure standards and practices, along with an engineering oriented background
Any of these would also be great
- Strong knowledge of the financial services area (or other critical infrastructure areas) with an emphasis on network/system/application engineering and information security preferred
- Certifications such as CISSP, CISSP-ISSEP, CISSP-ISSAP, CISM, appropriate SANS Certifications, CCSP etc. highly desirable
- Undergraduate degree in computer science, electrical engineering, information science, or a related technical discipline
- Extensive experience in security architecture and/or security engineering with hands on experience gained
- Experience with Threat Modeling
- Experience in Offensive and/or Defensive Security techniques
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).