At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Senior Cloud Engineer
As a Cloud Engineer you will work as part of the Tech Delivery organisation supporting the development and engineering of a growing AWS cloud footprint within Capital One. The role offers scope to work on new cloud engineering standards and patterns, alongside developing and supporting our cloud hosted API Gateway. As a contributor to a focused infrastructure delivery team you will ensure the 'infrastructure as code' approach, looking to automate and drive efficient working practices as the growth of the Cloud platform continues. You would be working in a team supporting and evolving a critical business platform with an opportunity to develop and stay ahead of advancing technologies as well as driving future capabilities.
Our Cloud Engineers are responsible for complex problem resolution, frequently working with geographically dispersed teams to identify root cause and resolve issues. We work alongside security specialists to ensure both a secure and compliant environment whilst supporting the set-up and on-boarding of new services. This role requires a breadth and depth of technology understanding to ensure progress in both working practices and ongoing support. We are looking for those with a passion to work in cutting edge distributed computing environments who have a strong understanding of Cloud, PaaS, SaaS and IaaS.
- Previous experience as a Linux or Windows system administrator building & supporting enterprise computing platforms and systems (or equivalent)
- Solid understanding of Cloud Compute platforms, including machine image creation and management
- Solid understanding of High Availability strategies, preferably with Cloud in mind
- Familiarity with the concept of 'infrastructure as code'
- In-depth understanding of Cloud based architectures, preferably Amazon Web Services
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to quickly identify trends and patterns
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, able to drive out root cause of complex technical problems.
- Strong scripting and automation skills in various languages (such as Python, Ruby, BASH, Powershell, etc.)
- Experience working with a cloud service provider / virtualization service
- In-depth understanding of networking security concepts, such as IP subnets, NACLs, routing, firewalls.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, able to leverage self-directed time
- Proven track record of self-motivated expansion of technical knowledge
- Working knowledge of API Gateways & Middleware Technologies
- Experience of test driven development of infrastructure solutions
- Experience of creating and supporting automated CI/CD pipelines through integration tools such as Jenkins
- Experience with other DevOps tooling, such as GitHub, Artifactory, etc
- Familiarity with Agile software development methods and working as part of an Agile Team
What’s in it for you:
- Bring us all this - and you’ll be handsomely rewarded with a role contributing to the product roadmap for an organisation committed to transformation.
- We are continuing our journey into the public cloud and have problems of scale, security, availability and performance for you to help solve.
- We love continuous learning and that’s why we give you 10% of your time to work on cutting edge innovative projects that shape the way we will work in the future
- We offer high performers strong and diverse career progression, investing heavily in developing great people through our Capital One University training programmes (and appropriate external providers)
- Immediate access to our core benefits including pension scheme, bonus, generous holiday entitlement and private medical insurance – with flexible benefits available including season-ticket loans, cycle to work scheme and enhanced parental leave
- Open-plan workspaces and facilities designed to inspire and support you. Our Nottingham head-office has a fully-serviced gym, subsidised restaurant, mindfulness and music rooms. In London, you can heighten your mood with a run on our rooftop running track or an espresso at the Workshop Coffee café
- Find out more through our UK careers site (http://www.capitalonecareers.co.uk/) or by exploring the @IAmCapitalOne Twitter tag.
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).