Senior Software Development Engineer - Data Platforms
Senior Software Development Engineer - Data Platforms
What you’ll do
- You’ll work as part of a self-organised Data engineering team to design and develop software features that are delightful and vital to the lives of credit card consumers across all walks of life
- Your focus is on a major portion of existing or new team software (e.g., significant component, set of features, mid-size application or service)
- You’ll work to achieve the goals and vision shared by Product Management and your Tribe Leadership
- Drive engineering best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and set standards, across your team and wider engineering teams
- Innovate within your team, initiative area and contribute within your technical domain
What we’re looking for
- Proven experience in technical leadership, with a passion for mentoring and nurturing engineers
- Demonstrable knowledge of creating architectural designs that meet the business need
- Very strong programming skills with a good working knowledge of modern languages such as Python and Java
- You’re able to effectively communicate and work together across engineering to maximise inner-sourcing opportunities and reduce waste
- You’ll have a proven ability to deliver high quality applications at scale
- You’re an advocate for quality and can support the team leveraging approaches such as Pair Programming, TDD and BDD
What you’ll get to learn (any previous experience would be advantageous)
- Working with the cloud/AWS and the opportunities that it brings
- Solving real world problems and being comfortable working in a complex regulated environment
Where and how you'll work
This is a permanent position and will be based in our Nottingham offices. We’ve adopted a flexible hybrid working model - one that creates the opportunity to work in your own way, but also provides great spaces for in-person collaboration.
Our core in-the-office days are Tuesday to Thursday, and the days that you are in the office will differ from team to team. Many of our team have flexible working patterns so we’re open to discuss flexible working arrangements with you.
You can read more about the full announcement from our Founder and CEO Rich Fairbank here: Update on CapitalOne.com
We are committed to creating a level playing field and seek to create teams that are representative of our customers and the communities we serve. We’d love to hear from you if you identify with a typically under-represented group in our industry and are particularly keen to hear from women and ethnic minority candidates.
What’s in it for you
- Bring us all this - and you’ll be handsomely rewarded with a role contributing to the product roadmap for an organisation committed to transformation
- We’re continuing our journey into the public cloud and have problems of scale, security, availability and performance for you to help solve
- We love continuous learning and that’s why we give you 10% of your time to work on cutting edge innovative projects that shape the way we will work in the future
- We offer high performers strong and diverse career progression, investing heavily in developing great people through our Capital One University training programmes (and appropriate external providers)
- Immediate access to our core benefits including pension scheme, bonus, generous holiday entitlement and private medical insurance – with flexible benefits available including season-ticket loans, cycle to work scheme and enhanced parental leave
- Open-plan workspaces and facilities designed to inspire and support you. Our Nottingham head-office has a fully-serviced gym, subsidised restaurant, mindfulness and music rooms. In London, you can heighten your mood with a run on our rooftop running track or an espresso at the Workshop Coffee café
- Find out more through our UK careers site (http://www.capitalonecareers.co.uk/) or by exploring the @IAmCapitalOne Twitter tag
What you should know about how we recruit
We pride ourselves on hiring the best people, not the same people. Building diverse and inclusive teams is the right thing to do and the smart thing to do. We want to work with top talent: whoever you are, whatever you look like, wherever you come from. We know it’s about what you do, not just what you say. That’s why we make our recruitment process fair and accessible. And we offer benefits that attract people at all ages and stages.
We also partner with organisations including the Women in Finance and Race At Work Charters, Stonewall and upReach to find people from every walk of life and help them thrive with us. We have a whole host of internal networks and support groups you could be involved in, to name a few:
- REACH – Race Equality and Culture Heritage group focuses on representation, retention and engagement for associates from minority ethnic groups and allies
- OutFront – to provide LGBTQ+ support for all associates
- Mind Your Mind – signposting support and promoting positive mental wellbeing for all
- Women in Tech – promoting an inclusive environment in tech
- EmpowHER - network of female associates and allies focusing on developing future leaders, particularly for female talent in our industry
If you require a reasonable adjustment, please contact email@example.com All information will be kept confidential and will only be used for the purpose of applying a reasonable adjustment.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Who We Are
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.